I have stage 4 Ovarian Cancer. I have been very lucky in that so far the treatments available to me have been working well and I do my part by staying fit, healthy and positive. As a doctor it shocked me how few treatments are available for ovarian cancer and that majority of the treatment for this range of cancers is very general. Ovarian Cancer does not get the funding that other more public cancers get even though it has terrible survival rates. I would love to see the funding for research increased, who knows maybe this money will lead to a treatment that one day may save my life.
The Save the Box campaign is an Australian initiative from the Australia New Zealand Gynaecological Oncology Group (ANZGOG) to raise much needed funds and awareness for research into gynaecological cancers.
Please help me by giving whatever you can using the 'Give Now' button. Please also spread the word by sharing my page with your friends and family. Thank you in advance for your generosity, it means a lot!
- There is no screening test for Ovarian Cancer in Australia. Pap smears are for Cervical Cancer.
- Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer are often vague. Symptoms to be aware of are pain in the lower abdomen or pelvic area, bloating and a full feeling in the tummy (abdomen), loss of appetite or weight loss.
- The above two facts contribute to late diagnosis of ovarian cancer; when it has spread and treatment options are limited.
- Ovarian Cancer is the most common cause of death from a gynaecological cancer.
- Currently, the five year survival rate for Australian women with ovarian cancer is 43%. In comparison, the five year survival rate for breast cancer is 90%
I would like to make OC awareness and working towards better treatment my life mission. Help me by donating today. If you want to know more about my advocacy and fundraising activities than check out my instagram leeshy_keepsmiling which you can use to get in touch.
Our current awareness and fundraising activity is a team of us participating in the Cairns marathon. Thank you to all my family and friends for their support.
Thank you for your donations xo